Fires can break out wherever electricity or flame are present. Most home appliances are in a relatively low, but still existing fire hazard. Your heating furnace is also at risk, since it has a combustion chamber where the oil is sprayed and set on fire. Same goes for all other things using electricity or holding flames.

FURNACE OR BOILER

furnace-water-heater1. Always do annual check-ups of your furnace or boiler. Technicians can detect possible threats on time and propose resolving actions. Hire a licensed and insured HVAC tech here.
2. Keep the furnace area clean and safe. Do not store fuels, nor any other flammable or explosive matters close to the furnace.
3. Never hire unqualified and non-certified personnel to repair or tune-up your furnace or oil tank.

PORTABLE SPACE HEATER

1. Do not buy an infrared quartz portable space heater. If you already have one, dispose of it! That device can cause fire even when you think you did some preventive measures.
2. If you consider buying a portable space heater, look for oil filled ones. These are extremely safe and convenient, but still, don’t use these for drying clothes.
3. Do not use extension cords. Plug the heater directly to a wall socket. Regularly inspect the cord and keep it away from parts of the device which emit heat.
4. Do not leave the heater turned on while you’re sleeping or away from it.
5. Never use space heaters in wet places like a bathroom.

KITCHEN APPLIANCES

1. Always have a fire extinguisher in your kitchen. Kitchen fire extinguishers are lightweight, inexpensive and small enough to fit in any kitchen.
2. Never leave turned on kitchen range or stove unattended for long periods.
3. Be fully concentrated while cooking. If it’s an electric stove, don’t leave anything on or close to the cooktop until the heat indicator turns off.
4. Do not use the stove, cooktop, or oven as means to heat the space.
5. Always set a timer to remind you when the cooking is about to be done. Never leave the kitchen if you’re frying, broiling, boiling or grilling.

FIREPLACE

1. Close the glass door of your fireplace to prevent embers from jumping off the flame to the room, these can cause fire very easily.
2. Do not keep flammable and explosive matters, as well as electric appliances close to the fireplace.
3. Do not leave your home nor go to sleep while the fire is still lighting.
4. Never make excess fires. Keep moderate fire. Do not start the fire with too much paper. Do not use gasoline, oil or similar fuels trying to light the fire quickly or make it catch the timber easier.
5. Inspect the chimney at least once a year.

CANDLES

1. Always use candle holders.
2. Remove anything at least one feet from the candle.
3. Turn the candle off when you’re leaving your home or going to sleep. After you blow it out, watch on it for a few seconds afterwards.
4. Do not allow or enable children to play with candles, lighters and matches.

SMOKE ALARMS

1. Install several smoke alarms in your home. Put them on each floor.
2. Replace batteries at least once a year. Test the smoke alarm every month, most alarms have a test feature. If you don’t hear sound on testing, replace the battery and try again.

For more tips please visit the National Fire Protection Association